PACKA-CHING was launched on the 21st of August 2017 in Langa, one of the oldest communities in the Cape.
The idea behind the project is to tap into a new market of recyclable packaging material in order to grow the mechanical recycling of packaging and ultimately decrease the amount of packaging waste entering landfills. Through incentivising a change in behaviour and a shift in the perception of waste, PACKA- CHING cleans up the environment and uplifts the communities in the areas where it operates.
Individuals bring bags of recyclable packaging material (plastic, paper, metal cans and glass) to PACKA-CHING, a mobile recycling service that travels between communities, and exchange it for money that is loaded onto a special debit card.
Our mission is to encourage individuals to recycle and reduce waste pollution by incentivising a positive change in behaviour and creating a shift in the way that people perceive the value of waste.
- Maximise the diversion of packaging waste from landfill.
- Open up new sources of packaging waste to grow the mechanical recycling thereof.
- Incentivise a change in recycling behaviour.
- Contribute to poverty alleviation by creating an income earning opportunity for South African households.
- Have a national footprint within five years.
A cleaner tomorrow.